Course Web Page
The Gateway Experience
Mon/Wed 2:00pm - 3:15pm (Mon 8/24 - Wed 12/9, 16 weeks)
Wed, Sep 1, 2010
[updated: Wednesday, September 1, 2010]
"I have the greatest job in the world. I have been extended the priviledge of being a teacher."
The purpose of this web site is to provide information and materials for students enrolled in Wayne Smith's Business 302 course, Class # 17736, for the Fall, 2009 semester.
This course meets Mon/Wed 2:00pm - 3:15pm (Mon 8/24 - Wed 12/9, 16 weeks) in JH2230 [ Campus Map, Google Maps, Google Earth ].
This course is offered by the College of Business and Economics at California State University, Northridge (CSUN). CSU Northridge is one of 23 campuses in the California State University system.
My email address is email@example.com. For email
sent to me by students, the Subject line should start with "[CSUN Bus302]" (without the quotes).
Interested students may learn more about me by reviewing my personal web page. The PDF
materials on this page require the "free" Acrobat Reader.
The dates in parentheses indicate when the document was last updated.
Note: Materials listed as (CSUN only) are restricted to CSUN students, faculty, and staff only. To access these restricted materials, CSUN stakeholders will need to enter their CSUN email address and their CSUN password.
The following notes are updates and changes that occur prior to the beginning of class (in descending chronological order).
- Tue. Jun 2, 2009: All course prerequisites for this class will be enforced. BUS 302 students (enrolled or potential adds) will need to provide written proof of completion of all prerequisites on the first day of class. A printout of a current CSUN Degree Progress Report (DPR) can be used for courses completed at CSUN (the DPR is available via the CSUN Portal). A printout of a current Unofficial Transcript from a Community College can be used for courses completed elsewhere.
- Tue. Jun 2, 2009: Students enrolled in BUS302 (lecture) are strongly encouraged to enroll in BUS302L (lab) during the same semester.
The above notes are also available as a subscription feed [ .atom ]. A subscription feed is a
contemporary approach to automated notification.
These materials can be accessed before the first class session.
These resources can be useful for prospective students desiring to gain a better appreciation for the subject matter of this course without enrolling in the course or purchasing the required textbook(s).
Materials in this particular section will not appear on any quiz or exam.
- Course-pedia [ .html ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- COBAE Associate Dean's WaitList for "Adds" [ .html ]
- CSUN Grade Distribution/Inflation Study (BUS courses) [ .xls ]
These materials should be reviewed before the first class session.
- First Day Written Proof of Prerequisites Required [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Syllabus [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Outline/Calendar [ .html ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- SECs "Plain English" Handbook (read the 2-page "Preface" only) [ .pdf ]
- Supplemental Materials [ .html ] (Mon. Dec 19, 2016)
- BUS 302 and 302L Course (Common) Page [ .html ]
- BUS 302L Review Videos (access instructions) [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Wayne Smith's BUS 302L Statistics Exam Review [ .html ]
- The "ABC's" of Gateway Success [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Business Honors Tutoring [ .html ]
- Key COBAE Courses [ .pdf | .odg ] (Sat. Dec 31, 2016)
- LDC Core Concepts ("Top Ten Topics") [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
The following materials apply to all my courses independent of subject matter.
- Focus on the Organization [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- "How Successful Student Professionals Communicate Electronically" [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Class Behavior [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Class Participation Guidelines [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Quantitative Evaluation [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Understanding Standardized Scores [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- The Language of Performance [ .pdf ] (Mon. Aug 15, 2011)
- The Role of Office Hours [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- How to Fool Yourself with Information Technology [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Managing Expectations about Performance, Scores, and Final Grades [ .pdf ]
Writing, Math, and Spreadsheet Concepts (CSUN only)
Bus 302 requires nine course pre-requisites at the lower-division level.
Six of the course pre-requisites are tested explicitly in the Bus302L lab.
The following sample quizzes can assist motivated students in the three other course pre-requisites—Business Communication (English composition), Mathematics, and Computer Literacy (spreadsheets).
- Sample Quiz - Writing [ .pdf ]
- Sample Quiz - Math [ .pdf ]
- Sample Quiz - Spreadsheets [ .pdf ]
The following tips were all written by my BUS 302 students within the past three years.
- Tips for Success - By Students, For Students [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Tips for Team Contracts - By Students, For Students [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
Impact of BUS 302 on other classes and in the workplace
The following quotes were all written by my BUS 302 students within the past three years.
- How has BUS 302 assisted your coursework in other courses? [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- How has BUS 302 assisted your job or work outside of CSUN? [ .pdf ] (Fri. Aug 26, 2011)
Overall Peer-Student Evaluations
The following student evaluations of the best students in their respective teams were all written by my BUS 302 students within the past three years.
- What Students Say About the Best Students At the End of Class [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
Case Writing Materials
The following materials apply primarily to the case writing deliverables in this course.
- Case Preparation Document (aka "Workplan") [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 14, 2016)
- Scoring Written Deliverables [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Sample Case Scoring Rubric [ .xls ] (Thu. Oct 9, 2014)
- Writing Error Frequency and Reference [ .xls ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Formatting Requirements for Written Deliverables [ .pdf ] (Wed. Jul 8, 2015)
- Structure Requirements for Written Case Deliverables [ .pdf ] (Sat. Aug 20, 2016)
- Written Case Deliverables - Case-specific Details [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- A Management Writer's Reference [ .pdf ] (Thu. Dec 17, 2015)
- Management Vocabulary [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Punctuation Exercise (CSUN only) [ .pdf ]
- Application Tips for MS-Word [ .pdf ] ([an error occurred while processing this directive])
- Application Tips for MS-Excel [ .pdf ] ([an error occurred while processing this directive])
- A Note on Decimal Places [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- The Three "T's" of Business Writing [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Revising Prose: Managing your Writing Brand (CSUN only) [ .pdf ]
- The Rhetorical Contexts for Written Deliverables in BUS 302 [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Final Checklist for each Written Case Deliverable [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
Case Presentation Materials
The following materials apply primarily to the case presentation deliverables in this course.
- Requirements for Oral Presentations [ .pdf ] (Fri. Sep 28, 2012)
- Presentation Tips [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Binkley, C. (2008) "Business Casual: All Business, Never Casual", Wall Street Journal, Apr 17 [ ABI Inform ]
- Binkley, C. (2008) "Want to Be CEO? You Have to Dress the Part", Wall Street Journal, Jan 10 [ ABI Inform ]
- Formatting Requirements for Presentation Deliverables [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
Case Discussion ("Challenge") Materials
The following materials apply primarily to the discussion after a case is presented in class.
- Towards Insightful Questions [ .pdf ] (Mon. Nov 7, 2011)
- Sample Discussion Questions [ .pdf ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
- Case Discussion Questions (template) [ .pdf ] (Tue. Mar 15, 2016)
Individual Ethics Essay Materials
The following materials apply to the individual ethics essay given in-class near the end of the semester.
- Ethics Essay Grading Rubric [ .pdf ] (Thu. Aug 25, 2016)
The following brief presentations complement the existing textbook and coursepack materials.
- Professional Influence [ .ppt ] (Sun. May 29, 2016)
- Legal Analysis for Business Case Study [ .ppt ] (Tue. Apr 4, 2017)
- Citations and References [ .ppt ] (Tue. Dec 27, 2016)
- End-of-Semester Debrief [ .ppt ] (Wed. Dec 21, 2016)
The following materials don't "fit" anywhere else neatly.
- Jung Typology Test (Myers-Briggs Personality Profile) [ .html ]
- "Two-Stage" decision-making [ .html ]
- Purchase Office 2007 directly from Microsoft [ .html ]
- Case Team Evaluation (Written and Oral) [ .doc ] (Wed. Sep 1, 2010)
The following is a collection of materials in various media that students should review just before the end of the the course.
- Materials for Further Study [ .html ] (Mon. Sep 21, 2015)